Friday, 28 September 2012

CARRIE


From my bookshelf, a copy of the first Stephen King book that I read. I can't quite believe what good condition it's in considering I bought it in 1978. 

It's intriguing to see images from the Carrie remake emerging and I'll admit that I'm not against remakes, especially when they're as surprisingly good as Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but the original Carrie is going to be a tough one to beat. It was the first Brian De Palma film that I saw and is still one of my top ten horror films, essentially due to that masterfully directed prom night scene. The lighting; the slow-motion; the close-ups and the absolutely brilliant use (and non-use) of sound, combined with Pino Donaggio's score. The split screen; the ominous vibrating hum and the shrill 'Psycho' style screeches as Sissy Spacek's blood spattered Carrie wreaks her revenge still gives me the shivers. Take a look at the video below for a reminder of just how good it is, unless you haven't seen it, in which case you may want to seek out the whole film. Not difficult considering it's all up on Youtube anyway.







The soundtrack and the homage... photographed by Nick Knight for i-D's July 2006, Horror issue.







The Mashup... (Brian De Palma's "Carrie" meets AIR's "Redhead Girl by Jeff Yorkes), and of course the Kimberly Peirce directed Carrie, set for a March 2013 release and starring Chloë Grace Moretz as Carrie and Julianne Moore as her mother.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...