Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods



I just spotted an article on Dangerous Minds telling us that Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods, Patrick Meaney’s feature-length documentary is available to watch for free on Hulu, so I clicked on the link to discover that it's only available to watch in the US. Being an inquisitive type, I checked to see if it was anywhere else to be seen and 'lo and behold' I discovered it on the ever-wonderful YouTube, except that it has Spanish subtitles. These are easy enough to zone out with a bit of concentration unless of course you're Spanish, in which case they'll probably come in very handy.

Grant waiting for the eclipse, Cornwall, August, 1999.
As the text on Dangerous Minds reads: Talking with Gods features interviews with Morrison and collaborators, such as artists, editors and other industry professionals. Among those interviewed are Dan Didio and Karen Berger of DC Comics’ Vertigo imprint, artists Phil Jimenez, Jill Thompson, Cameron Stewart, Frazer Irving, Steve Cook as well as Morrison co-conspirators Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Douglas Rushkoff, Jason Louv and Richard Metzger.

Now you may have noticed my name on there, which is down to the fact that Patrick and his crew set up cameras in my place a couple of years ago to interview me for this documentary at Grant's suggestion. I have to admit that being on the other side of the camera has never really appealed to me, but I got through it okay and actually managed to relate a few anecdotes. Some of these were about the crazy trip to Cornwall that Grant and I made for the Solar eclipse of August, 1999 so that he could complete his Invisibles series with a little bit of Pop Magic! Most of them got cut from the final edit, but they seemed to go down well with a bit of retelling at a post-screening discussion at the ICA. Perhaps I'll write about it all on here sometime. Meanwhile, here's one of the shots from our excursion, others were used on the documentary itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...