Saturday, 21 April 2012

Thunderbirds Were Go!


Waaay back in 1998, I was asked to design the logo for the upcoming live-action film of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds for Working Title. Peter Hewitt, of Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey was the director and the art director I was working for was Joseph Nemec III, who had famously worked as production designer on James Cameron's Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Brendan McCarthy (who'd recommended me for the gig) was working on the character & production designs and the film was looking like it was going to be a really good (and pretty dark) interpretation. Anyway, at some point the plug got pulled on the whole operation, something to do with Hollywood buy-outs or mergers or something, and it resurfaced in 2004 as a kid-friendly film directed by Jonathan Frakes.

The reason I mention all this is because I just discovered my (very) rough designs for the logo and I thought I'd share them on here. I'm not a fan of metallic logos to be honest, but this was the 90's and they were very much 'in vogue' at the time. For the presentation itself, I decided to create a mini teaser poster campaign to showcase the logos and the whole thing was met with instant approval by Peter and Joseph which really made my day. It's a real shame that their version of the Thunderbirds movie didn't come to light.

2 comments:

  1. The first two have a reminiscent feel of the old Century 21 logo that appeared at the beginning of Anderson productions from "Captain Scarlet on....was that intentional?

    As for kid-friendly...I'm afraid the kid inside me didn't find that final product kid-friendly in the least (Jonathan Frakes was a a convention here a couple of weeks ago and I'm told was given something of a grilling for his part in that travesty).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Referencing the original Century 21 logo was completely intentional. It always had such an impact on me as a kid. The metallics were added to keep it more in line with what the trend was at the time, i.e. Independence Day - ID4.

    The only memorable thing about the actual film for me was Lady Penelope and the pink Rolls.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...