Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Class Act

While I'm on the subject of Hugh Hefner and Playboy magazine, here's a scan of one of my favourite issues of Playboy from 1963. I have many issues from this period and what makes them so special for me are the beautifully art-directed covers. Just look at the simple beauty of this well-styled photograph. The use of colour, the clever use of the glove as rabbit symbol and more than anything, the distinct lack of cover lines. The prestigious, striking nature of this cover is enough to catch anyone's attention. Compare this to the celebrity obsessed covers of today, featuring models hemmed in by a proliferation of mismatched cover lines fighting for your attention, and the baring of skin that has been photoshopped to impossible perfection. I'd rather have this!

2 comments:

Your comments are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...